COVID-19: Onsite work has resumed. Please email the Glass Facility for details regarding drop-off, pick-up, and consultation.
Facility Hours: 8am - 4:30pm Monday - Thursday (closed 12-12:30pm for lunch). Available Friday by appointment.
Consultation times available by appointment
A scientific glassblowing facility is an indispensable part of any modern research team. The Glass Facility, found within the Department of Chemistry, is responsible for assisting in the design and fabrication of all glass scientific equipment, as well as repair of existing equipment.
- Design and construct custom glass scientific apparatus
- Repair of existing equipment
Common Materials worked with (for anything else please contact the Glass Facility for details)
- Pyrex, Kimax, Simax (Borosilicate) sizes 1mm - 100mm tubing up to limited short lengths of 160mm maximum diameter
- Quartz (Fused Silica) sizes 1mm - 30mm tubing
- Glass to metal seals Electrode through wires (tungsten, platinum, gold)