- B. Sc., MDT Hindu College, Tamil Nadu, India (1981)
- M. Sc., The American College, Tamil Nadu, India (1983)
- Ph. D., Indian Institute of Technology, Madras, India (1990)
- Post-Doctoral Fellow, University of California, Riverside (1991-1994), Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos (1995-1996)
Solution- and Solid-State NMR spectroscopy of Chemical and Biological Materials, Structural Biology, Bimolecular Structure and Dynamics, Structure and function of nucleic acids and proteins, Medicinal chemistry, Metabolomics, NMR education
Alternative energy, Photovoltaics, Data networking, Sociology, K-12 Education
46. S.M. Oburn, D. C. Swenson, S. V. Santhana Mariappan and L. R. MacGillivray, "Supramolecular construction of an aldehyde-cyclobutane via the solid state: Combining reversible imine formation and metal-organic self assembly", J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2017, 139, 8452-8454.
45. A. J. E. Duncan, R. L. Dudovitz, S. J. Dudovitz, J. Stojakovic, S. V. Santhana Mariappan and L. R. MacGillivray, “Quantitative and Regiocontrolled Cross-photocycloaddition of the Anticancer Drug 5-fluorouracil Achieved in a Cocrystal”, Chem. Comm. 2016, 52, 13109-13111.
44. A. I. Lansakara, S. V. Santhana Mariappan and F. C. Pigge, “Alkylidene dihydropyridines as synthetic intermediates: Model Studies toward the Synthesis of the Bis(piperidine) Alkaloid Xestoproxamine C”, J. Org. Chem. 2016, 81, 10266-10278.
43. O. Wangpradit, A. Rahaman, S. V. Santhana Mariappan, G. R. Buettner, L. W. Robertson and G. Luthe, "Breaking the dogma: PCB-derived semi-quinone free radicals do not form covalent adducts with DNA, GSH, and amino acids", Environ. Sci. Pollut. Res. 2016, 23, 2138-2147.