Scott R. Daly
B.S., North Central College (2006)
Ph.D., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2010)
Seaborg Postdoctoral Fellow, Los Alamos National Lab (2010-2012)
Inorganic and organometallic chemistry, coordination chemistry, ligand synthesis and design, X-ray absorption spectroscopy, radiochemistry, single-crystal X-ray diffraction.
The Daly Group uses coordination chemistry as a means to address fundamental questions relevant to electrochemical CO2 reduction, small molecule transformations and sensing, and nuclear separations. While the applications are quite diverse, our projects are similar in that they rely on the design of new ligands capable of promoting a desired function or property when bound to metals. Students in the group learn to characterize new complexes using a wide range of physical and analytical methods that include multi-nuclear NMR spectroscopy, single-crystal X-ray diffraction, mass spectrometry, X-ray absorption spectroscopy, and electrochemical methods. Our efforts generally fall into one of the following research areas: development of transition metal complexes with non-innocent ligands, XAS investigations of transition metal complexes with diphosphorus ligands, and lanthanide and actinide coordination chemistry with soft-donor ligands. Please see our website for additional details.
- Lee, K.;* Blake, A. V.;* Tanushi, A.; McCarthy, S. M.; Kim, D.; Loria, S. M.; Donahue, C. M.; Spielvogel, K. D.; Keith, J. M.; Daly, S. R.; Radosevich, A. T. " Validating the Biphilic Hypothesis of Nontrigonal P(III) Compounds." Angew. Chem., Int. Ed. 2019, 58, 6993-6998.
- Lee, K.; Kim, C.; Buckley, J. L.; Vlaisavljevich, B.; Daly, S. R. " Isolation of Ligand-Centered Borocations in Molybdenum Complexes Containing a Triaminoborane-Bridged Diphosphorus Ligand." Dalton Trans. 2019, 48, 3777-3785.
- Lee, K.; Kirkvold, C.; Vlaisavljevich, B.; Daly, S. R. "Ligand-Centered Borenium Reactivity in Triaminoborane-Bridge Diphosphine Complexes." Inorg. Chem. 2018, 57, 13188-13200.
- Blake, A. V.;* Fetrow, T. V.;* Theiler, Z. J.; Vlaisavljevich, B.; Daly, S. R. "Homoleptic Uranium and Lanthanide Phosphinodiboranates." Chem. Commun. 2018, 5602-5605.
- Lee, K.; Wei, H.; Blake, A. V.; Donahue, C. M.; Keith, J. M.; Daly, S. R. "Measurement of Diphosphine σ-Donor and π-Acceptor Properties in d0Titanium Complexes Using Ligand K-edge XAS and TDDFT." Inorg. Chem. 2018, 57, 10277-10286.
- Blake, A. V.; Wei, H.; Lee, K.; Donahue, C. M.; Keith, J. M.; Daly, S. R. "Solution and Solid Ligand K-edge XAS Studies of PdCl2 Diphosphine Complexes with Phenyl and Cyclohexyl Substituents." Eur. J. Inorg. Chem. 2018, 2267-2276.
- Donahue, C. M.; Daly, S. R. "Ligand K-edge XAS Studies of Metal-Phosphorus Bonds: Applications, Limitations, and Opportunities." Comments Inorg. Chem. 2018, 38, 54-78.
- Durgaprasad, G; Luna, J., A.; Spielvogel, K. D.; Haas, C.; Shaw, S. K.; Daly, S. R. "Ru(II) Complexes with a Chemical and Redox-Active S2N2 Ligand: Structures, Electrochemistry, and Metal-Ligand Cooperativity." Organometallics 2017, 36, 4020-4031.
- Lee, K.; Donahue, C. M.; Daly, S. R. "Triaminoborane-Bridged Diphosphine Complexes with Ni and Pd: Coordination Chemistry, Structures, and Ligand-Centered Reactivity." Dalton Trans. 2017, 46, 9394-9406.