Scott R. Daly
B.S., North Central College (2006)
Ph.D., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2010)
Seaborg Postdoctoral Fellow, Los Alamos National Lab (2010-2012)
Inorganic and organometallic chemistry, coordination chemistry, ligand synthesis and design, X-ray absorption spectroscopy, radiochemistry, single-crystal X-ray diffraction.
The Daly Group uses coordination chemistry as a means to address fundamental questions relevant to electrochemical CO2 reduction, small molecule transformations and sensing, and nuclear separations. While the applications are quite diverse, our projects are similar in that they rely on the design of new ligands capable of promoting a desired function or property when bound to metals. Students in the group learn to characterize new complexes using a wide range of physical and analytical methods that include multi-nuclear NMR spectroscopy, single-crystal X-ray diffraction, mass spectrometry, X-ray absorption spectroscopy, and electrochemical methods. Our efforts generally fall into one of the following research areas: development of transition metal complexes with non-innocent ligands, XAS investigations of transition metal complexes with diphosphorus ligands, and lanthanide and actinide coordination chemistry with soft-donor ligands. Please see our website for additional details.
- Durgaprasad, G; Luna, J., A.; Spielvogel, K. D.; Haas, C.; Shaw, S. K.; Daly, S. R. "Ru(II) Complexes with a Chemical and Redox-Active S2N2 Ligand: Structures, Electrochemistry, and Metal-Ligand Cooperativity." Organometallics 2017, 36, 4020-4031.
- Lee, K.; Donahue, C. M.; Daly, S. R. "Triaminoborane-Bridged Diphosphine Complexes with Ni and Pd: Coordination Chemistry, Structures, and Ligand-Centered Reactivity." Dalton Trans. 2017, 46, 9394-9406.
- Lee, K.; Wei, H.; Blake, A. V.; Donahue, C. M.; Keith, J. M.; Daly, S. R. "Ligand K-edge XAS, DFT, and TDDFT Analysis of Pincer Linker Variations in Rh(I) PNP Complexes: Reactivity Insights from Electronic Structure." Dalton Trans. 2016, 45, 9774-9785. Invited Submission for "New Talent: Americas" Issue.
- Donahue, C. M.; McCollum, S. P.; Forrest, C. M.; Blake, A. V.; Bellott, B. J.; Keith, J. M.; Daly, S. R. "Impact of Coordination Geometry, Bite Angle, and Trans Influence on Metal–Ligand Covalency in Phenyl-Substituted Phosphine Complexes of Ni and Pd." Inorg. Chem. 2015, 54, 5646-5659.
- Macor, J. A; Brown, J. J.; Cross, J. N.; Daly, S. R.; Gaunt, A. J.; Girolami, G. S.; Janicke, M. T.; Kozimor, S. A.; Neu, M. P.; Olson, A. C.; Reilly, S. D.; Scott, B. L. "Coordination chemistry of 2,2′-biphenylenedithiophosphinate and diphenyldithiophosphinate with U, Np, and Pu." Dalton Trans. 2015, 44, 18923-18936.