Prospective Student F.A.Q.

Q: What are the application deadlines?

A: February 1 for fall semester consideration and October 15 for spring semester consideration. Please note that we do not typically have openings for graduate students to enroll in the spring. Your spring application will be deferred for fall consideration if no spring openings are available. Please also note that although our deadline for fall admissions is February 1, we will begin to review applications and extend admissions offers before the end of December. To recieve early consideration, you should plan to have your application completed by December 1.

Q: Do you offer a master's degree?

A: While we do offer a master's degree, the members of our admissions committee strongly prefer candidates who intend to pursue a PhD and will prioritize those applications accordingly. 

Q: Do you admit graduate students in the spring semester?

A: Very few, if any, graduate students are admitted for the spring semester. You can apply for spring semester consideration and change your session of enrollment to the following fall if you do not receive an offer.

Q: Will I have health insurance?

A: The university contributes toward health and dental benefits for graduate assistants and their dependents.  Health and dental insurance information can be obtained from the University Benefits Office at the following link:

Q: Is the GRE subject test required for admission?

A: No. The Department of Chemistry does not require the GRE or the GRE subject test for admission.

Q: What is the Institution Code for TOEFL scores?

A: The University of Iowa Institution Code is 6681.

Q: Can the application processing fee be waived?

A: The application processing fee cannot be waived ($60 for domestic students and $100 for international students). This non-refundable fee is required of all applicants and must accompany your application in order for your request for admission to be considered. The fee is payable by Mastercard, Visa, or Discover.

Q: If I’m from outside the State of Iowa, do I have to pay non-resident tuition?

A: The university will classify you as a resident for tuition purposes during the semesters you hold a teaching or research assistant appointment of 25% time or greater. However, your classification with the University as a whole will remain unchanged if you are a non-resident; you will only be considered a resident for tuition purposes.

Q: How many hours per week must I work as a TA?

A: Your teaching assistant appointment will require effort from you that will average 20 hours of work per week.

Q: Will my teaching assistant appointment be automatically renewed each semester?

A: Your TA appointment is contingent upon good standing in our Ph.D. program (normal progress and a 3.0 grade point average in graduate work). Renewal of your appointment is contingent upon satisfactory academic and teaching performance.

Q: Can I apply to more than one graduate program at the University of Iowa?

A: You can apply to only one program through the University of Iowa Graduate College. However, the University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine offers a Medical Scientist Training Program (MD/PhD). MSTP students earn a medical degree while also pursuing a PhD in chemistry or another subject. The application for this program is through the Carver College of Medicine.

Chemistry graduate students also have the option to earn a Graduate Certificate in College Teaching through the University of Iowa College of Education while enrolled in the Chemistry graduate program. This certification is designed to prepare graduate students for careers in post-secondary education. 

Q: As an international applicant, do I need to send my financial statement with my application materials?

A: No. If you are offered admission to our graduate program, the Department of Chemistry will provide the Office of Admissions with your teaching assistantship stipend which will be sufficient for issuance of the Certificate of Eligibility (I-20).

Q: When do I choose a research advisor and begin research?

A: Each graduate student must choose a research advisor during the first semester in residence and students typically begin research before the second semester. The selected area does not need to reflect the area of interest stated on the student's application for admission. Prior to selecting an advisor, the student is encouraged to interview with as many faculty members as possible.  Additional procedures for advisor selection will be announced during the first semester of graduate study.