Grants Administrator - Dean's Office
The College of Liberal Arts & Sciences (CLAS), Dean’s Office at the University of Iowa has an opening for a full-time Grants Administrator. The Grants Administrator will be responsible for providing fiscal and administrative support in proposal preparation, budgeting, negotiations, and administration of grant and contract awards in the department of Chemistry and others as assigned. May provide back-up support for other units served by the Grant Support Office.
Key Duties Include:
- Responsible for pre- and post-award management with a high degree of complexity, including various sub agreements from both federal and non-federal funding sources, ensuring compliance with federal and University cost principles.
- Create, edit/review and submit grant proposals and progress reports via electronic systems, including Cayuse, NSF FastLane, and the NIH eRA Commons. Prepare routing forms, obtain institutional approvals for grant/sub-award documents, and electronically submit grant proposals.
- Independently and proactively forecast and manage accounts; provide independent post-award financial management of grants and contracts, including ongoing training of actual and projected expenditures.
- Analyze and reconcile monthly financial statements for a multimillion-dollar portfolio of departmental grants. This includes forecasting and monitoring financial projections from grant budgets and salary release departmental accounts.
- Monitor compliance with contract/ grant terms in accordance with University policies and state and federal regulations.
- Consult with faculty to discuss, evaluate and plan for current and future needs and research funding opportunities. Establish new user accounts and train faculty and research staff on electronic grant submission systems and financial reports. Provide feedback and direction to faculty and research staff based on grant regulations or budgets to ensure compliance and desirable outcomes.
- Interact with departmental administrators and principal investigators from other departments; interact with Grants Accounting, Division of Sponsored Programs, IRB & IACUC, Accounts Payable and NIH/NSF Program Officers and Grant Management Specialists regarding inquiries about contracts and grants. Investigate and resolve unusual circumstances, revise procedures as needed for efficient grant/contract processing and award operations.
- Communicate with University of Iowa units to assure compliance, adherence to policies and status tracking, and direct communications with sponsors and other entities.
Education Required: A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience with research grants or contracts including experience developing and expediting competitive and compliant proposal budgets for research funding within a higher education setting.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, as demonstrated at an extensive proficiency level.
- Demonstrated ability to provide high quality customer service in a deadline driven environment.
- Working proficiency in Microsoft computer programs.
- Evidence of strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Working knowledge of University policies, procedures and regulations.
- Familiarity with the National Science Foundation, the National Institutes for Health, and other federal granting agencies.
- Experience working with the University of Iowa Research Information System (UIRIS).
In order to be considered for an interview, applicants must upload a resume and cover letter and mark them as a "relevant file" to the submission.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of 14 calendar days and may be removed from posting and filled any time after the original posting period has ended. Successful candidates will be subject to a criminal background check. Up to 5 professional references will be requested at a later step in the recruitment process. This position is not eligible for University sponsorship for employment authorization.
- Classification Title: Research Support Manager
- Appointment Type: Professional and Scientific
- Schedule: Full-time
- Pay Level: 5A
- Organization: College of Liberal Arts
- Contact Name: Karli Kirsch
- Contact Email: Karlifirstname.lastname@example.org
Equal opportunity/affirmative action employer
The University of Iowa is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment free from discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, religion, associational preference, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance or accommodations with the application or interview process may contact University Human Resources/Faculty and Staff Disability Services, (319) 335-2660 or email@example.com. For jobs in UI Health care, please contact UI Health care Leave & Disability Administration at 319-356-7543.