Chemistry Center Assistant
The College of Liberal Arts & Sciences (CLAS), Department of Chemistry at the University of Iowa has an opening for a full-time Chemistry Center Assistant. This position provides coordination and high level administrative support for the Chemistry Center and direct support to the instructors of large enrollment chemistry courses. Serves as a liaison directing and responding to queries from faculty, staff, students, and the public. This position performs a wide range of tasks that require a high degree of independence, discretion, judgment and confidentiality and requires the ability to multi-task. This position will be required to work Monday through Friday from 8:00am – 5:00pm with occasional evenings and weekends as necessary.
Key Duties Include:
• Makes decisions and exercises a high level of autonomy while performing administrative/operational support.
• Operates exam copier and understanding of exam copying needs for all courses.
• Uses MAUI for course management, looking up student information, and pulling reports pertinent to course/student success.
• Works closely with course instructors to facilitate ICON, on-line homework and other course communications.
• Assists with graduate orientation programming and coordination of specialized events and activities.
• Assists with coordination and scheduling Student Disability Services (SDS) make-up exams and make-up labs ensuring student accommodation needs are met.
• Assists and directs students, faculty, staff and the public in person, on the phone, and via email.
Education Required: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Minimum of three months of experience in administrative or instructional support.
• Working knowledge of and ability to use such tools as Microsoft Office suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and internet search tools.
• Must demonstrate excellent oral and written communication skills; ability to effectively transmit, receive and interpret ideas, information, and needs through appropriate communication methods and behaviors with faculty, staff, students, and outside constituencies, while appreciating the unique contributions of diverse individuals.
• Must demonstrate careful attention to detail and accuracy, strong organizational skills and ability to handle multiple tasks quickly and effectively, proactively establish priorities and meet deadlines, and solve problems independently and creatively.
• Working knowledge and evidence of success in organizing and planning tasks and events and meeting deadlines.
• Demonstrated ability to work with diverse individuals with patience and flexibility.
• Basic knowledge of academic resources and University systems (e.g. MAUI and ICON).
• Basic knowledge of electronic processing of systems, such as Workflow.
• Basic knowledge of Chemistry.
In order to be considered for an interview, applicants must upload a resume and cover letter and mark them as a "relevant file" to the submission.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of 14 calendar days and may be removed from posting and filled any time after the original posting period has ended. Successful candidates will be subject to a criminal background check. Up to 5 professional references will be requested at a later step in the recruitment process.
Classification Title: Instructional Serv Coordinator
Appointment Type: Professional and Scientific
Pay Level: 3A
Starting Salary Minimum: 40,000
Starting Salary Maximum: 41,000