Chemistry Computer Facility Policies
Usage must conform to the University of Iowa Policy on Acceptable Use of Information Technology Resources.
- Only persons authorized by the Department of Chemistry may use the Facility.
- The door to the Facility is not to be left open.
- Absolutely no food or drink is allowed in the Facility.
- Equipment and furniture may not be removed from the Facility.
- No unauthorized alterations of the hardware and software configurations are allowed.
- Any violation of these policies will result in immediate suspension of all access privileges.
Additional policies and instructions
- Students enrolled in Chemistry Department courses necessitating use of the Facility have top priority. General usage for chemistry education has priority.
- The Facility may be reserved by Chemistry Department courses and will not be available for regular use during these times (notices will be posted on the door).
- Log into an individual workstation to use it. A login dialog box is presented when the machine is powered on.
- Your work can only be saved to a USB drive, designated areas of the hard disk, or to a file server. Work saved to the computer's hard drive is not secure and may be purged at any time without notice. Save your work to a USB drive or a file server for maximum security.
- Do not use the printers as copiers or for personal use.
- Do not interrupt calculations running unattended.
- Manuals and 3-D glasses (for Spartan) are available to be checked out in the Chemistry Center.
- Your access to some software and printers may be restricted.
- Avoid excessive movement of all hardware, as the security system may be activated.
These are your facilities. Please help take care of them!